Someone sent me this amazing recipe, and I just have to share it with you all.
(The “Author” in bold below is not me.)
Author Notes: Olive oil cake at its best has a crackling crust and an aromatic oil-rich middle, which, if it held any more moisture, would be pudding. Pulling this off should be easy — there aren’t even egg whites to whip and fold, or butter to cream — but it isn’t always. This one, however, is perfect, and will ruin you for all others. Recipe from Maialino Restaurant in New York City. Maialino also serves it at breakfast in muffin form, and they’ve been known to turn it into a birthday cake, layered with mascarpone buttercream. (less)Author Notes: Olive oil cake at its best has a crackling crust and an aromatic oil-rich middle, which, if it held any more moisture, would be pudding. Pulling this o (…more) – Genius Recipes
Makes a 9-inch round cake
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4cups sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/4cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4cup Grand Marnier
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Oil, butter, or spray a 9-inch cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. (If your cake pan is less than 2 inches deep, divide between 2 pans and start checking for doneness at 30 minutes.)
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, milk, eggs, orange zest and juice and Grand Marnier. Add the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely, 2 hours.
I used some more Grand Marnier and zest in the whipped cream. I cannot show from this photo how perfect and moist this cake was. All I can tell you is that we tried to ration it and ate it for almost 1.5 weeks straight.
You will never need to order this in a restaurant again.